Thursday, February 20, 2014

POST 5 Rosely Leite - The International High School at LaGuardia Community College

As an English teacher, I wish I could know the reality of a high school in the USA one day. I’ve already read about the American Educational System.  Fortunately this opportunity arrived in my life. St. John’s University, Language Connection Intensive English Program - Brazilian Teacher made my will come true. We went to visit on February 14th, 2014, the International High School at LaGuardia Community College, in New York City. It was a great experience, maybe the best one.
The International High School at LaGuardia Community College has been known in New York as a Center of Excellence for their work in English communication arts. It  admitted students from different nationalities. In fact, the students who have been living in New York fewer than four years may have the opportunity to attend classes there. They must be limited English proficient as well.  I met students from many countries there. All mixed in the same classes. They are prepared to do the New York State ELA exam. At least four years they must stay attending classes in the school.

I loved what I see. A great school with great friendly teachers. All the Brazilian teachers could make an overview of the school and interact with the students in the classroom. We visited four classrooms.  I could observe the teachers’ methodology in each class and how the students are involved in their portfolio projects. We attended Game Design, Social Studies and Global Studies classes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment