Tuesday, February 11, 2014

REZENDE - Volunteering

     I worked on last Saturday 1st as volunteer at City Harvest's Mobile Market (an organization that help poor people giving them healthy food) on Brooklyn. I stay there from 9am until 12pm.
This experience was valuable because I enjoy that time and I could see and feel how good is helping other people.
     At the first time, I was chocked: there were a lot of people waiting for their food, I saw disabilities and old people. I know all of them are poor and they have no enough money to buy healthy food; on the other hand, I was marvelous because there are programs take care of them and these people can have a better life receiving free foods.
     I learn about social helpful and this service-learning project help me to develop my language skills too: I could talk with native speakers while I was working, so I develop my listening and speaking. By the way, I did'n understand a woman at the beginning, but after, I did!
     This social project is so organized too: there were about five tents, each one with one kind of food (orange, carrot, potato, sweet potato and cabbage, and a lot of plastic bags to put it on. There were people packing, weighing and distributing in each tents. I help a little on each of that. Each plastic bag has a correspondent letter A to D and depending the letter the weight of the food is different, because each letter corresponds a kind of family - smaller or bigger).
     This experience I'll noticed in my city, specially in my school. I'd like to develop a social volunteer work with my students. For this, I'll show them the pictures, tell about the experience, the social program and together  we'll try a kind of volunteer work to help people need us!!!!
                                         Helping each other, I believe world will be better!



2 comments:

  1. Well, it is really fascinating to see people helping one another, mainly in a city with many rich people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Veralucia. It's fascinating and important. It was a great day for us!

      Delete